Most fashion jewelry products on the market are made of brass. Since brass jewelry is usually made of a combination of zinc and copper, it can often tarnish, or oxidize. If you wear brass jewelry, it can often leave a green mark on your skin when you sweat or wash your hands.
Stainless steel jewelry has become popular in recent years as a direct counter to the “green finger” effect. Stainless steel is durable, resistant to rust, corrosion, and tarnishing. However, just like any other material, stainless steel can still become scratched and stained.
Luckily, stainless steel jewelry is very easy to clean compared to brass. Here are some tips that you can follow to take care of stainless steel jewelry:
1. Water and soap
- Add some mild dishwashing soap in warm water.
- Dip a soft lint-free cloth in the soapy water and then gently wipe the stainless steel jewelry with the damp cloth until it is clean.
- Use a moist cloth dipped in clean water to wipe the remaining soap off your jewelry.
- Pat dry the jewelry well with a clean towel, and then air dry.
2. Baking soda and water
- Mix the baking soda and water until you get a paste.
- Use your soft-bristled toothbrush to apply the paste and gently scrub the jewelry.
- After you’ve done this for all over the jewelry, rinse the jewelry in warm water until the baking soda comes off.
- Wipe off the water with a cloth and then polish the jewelry with a polish cloth (not the one for sterling silver).
3. Toothpaste (use plain and white silica-free toothpaste)
- Put a small amount of toothpaste on a damp soft cloth and gently rub the jewelry along the grain. For tough stains, use a soft bristle toothbrush.
- After all the stains have been removed, immerse the stainless steel jewelry in clean water and rinse thoroughly.
- Dry the jewelry with a soft cloth and polish it with a polish cloth.
How to store stainless steel jewelry?
Last but not least, storing your stainless steel jewelry properly is an important step after the cleaning work is done. Unlike silver and brass, stainless steel jewelry requires much less work to take care of and maintain. However, you can’t just throw your stainless steel jewelry anywhere. It’s very likely it will get scratched if it’s placed with other metals. So the most proper jewelry storage method is to keep your stainless steel jewelry in a clean and safe place, away from other items. Avoid storing your stainless steel jewelry in the same jewelry box as your rose gold rings or sterling silver earrings.
If you want to store all of your jewelry in the same container, you can store your stainless steel jewelry in a fabric-lined case with separate compartments, or wrap pieces individually in soft tissue paper.
We hope you find the above-mentioned tips useful and if you’d like to share your methods taking care of your stainless steel jewelry, leave a comment and let us know!
One Reply to “How to Take Care of Your Stainless Steel Jewelry”
I loved how you mentioned that you should store stainless steel jewelry in a fabric-lined case. My wife is wanting to get some stainless steel jewelry and she was wondering how she could take good care of it. I’ll be sure to tell her that she should get a fabric-lined case for her stainless steel jewelry.